I've been a record collector ever since I was a little boy.

You see, I grew up in a home where there was always music. My mother was a jazz & pop singer and my father was a stand up comic so for my family, show business was the family business!

As a small child, my parents gave me a record player along with a selection of 45s for my very own (pop records - not kiddie records) and these singles became my most treasured possessions.

I played those records endlessly as a child. I would ask for new ones whenever my folks took me shopping anywhere there was a record counter. (I can clearly remember, on separate occasions, asking for - and receiving 45s including "Granada" by Frank Sinatra & the theme from "Bonanza" from my dad while standing at a record counter in a hardware store!) And as soon as I had an allowance, I began to spend that money on new records as well!

I also grew up in a house where there was a great HiFi system with loudspeakers in almost every room. And at bedtime every night, my father would ask me what records I wanted to listen to while I went to sleep. He would then put those albums on the changer and pipe the music to the speaker in my bedroom. Life was good. And music made it even better!

As a youth I learned about "Long Players" and the value added in buying the whole album instead of just the single. Growing up, my favorite birthday gifts were always the cash, checks or gift certificates from aunts and uncles because to me it always meant more new records.

As a teenager, my kid brother and I would sit by the pool all summer long and listen to music played over Dad’s system through the speaker on the back porch. Life... was... GOOD!!!

In high school, I needed “portable” music so I started recording my own four/eight tracks to play in the car. During this period I never understood ‘buying’ 4 track or 8 track tapes... to me, tapes were something you made from your albums!

By the time I reached adulthood I had a pretty sizable collection of LPs and singles and at it's peak, my collection numbered well over 3000 albums and nearly a thousand singles (many with their original picture sleeves!).

I still have the bulk of that collection and although some have been replaced with newer versions in more convenient CD and FLAC formats, I have held onto most of my vinyl, duplicating or even triplicating many of my favorite titles.

I still keep functioning turntables (three of them) in my stereo system (which is completely separate from my home theater sound system) as well as open reel and cassette tape decks.

To me, nothing can touch the rituals associated with playing a record album. Lift the turntable dust cover, remove the record cover from the outer liner. Remove the inner liner from the cover, and the record from the inner liner. Place the record on the turntable and then clean/de-stat the surface. Clean the stylus and lower the dust cover. Then and only then, after all that is done, play the side.

There have been two stereo systems that have been "love of my life" rigs - the first I pieced together in the early 70s and used it till the mid 80s. It consisted of a Phillips GA212 turntable, A Fisher 500C amp (35 watts per channel) and a pair of Rogers Sound Labs 3600 studio monitors (the poor man's JBLs!)

In the early 80s I replaced the system with a Sony PS X500 straight arm turntable, Kenwood L07 series mono-block power and pre-amps (250 watts per channel) and a pair of JBL L112 studio monitors (the home version of the 4311)

With the exception of adding an additional pair of speakers (Urei model 809 time aligned monitors) and a monster 750 watt per channel Yamaha stereo power amp (to feed them) this system remains unchanged until today.

Life... Is... Good! And music makes it even better!

Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Bootleg Blues





was in the mid seventies that I first became aware of a monthly record swap meet being held in the parking lot behind the Capitol Records building in Hollywood. One Saturday each month, just after dark, a hundred or so sellers along with thousands of music lovers would gather in the shadow of the Capitol Records Tower to buy, sell and trade anything and everything that had to do with popular music. And best of all, it was a party that went on all night!

You could find posters  photographs, rare used records, memorabilia and of course bootlegs... lots and lots of bootlegs! A few of the more adventurous dealers even brought small gas powered generators or strung a power cord from an RV giving them the advantage of lights & sound but most of the stalls were relatively dark, so the smart buyers always brought a flashlight.

Capitol Records building - "The Tower"

The scene was amazing, (and more than a little surreal!) Picture that famous cylindrical edifice, looming over a darkened parking lot filled with seller’s tables and populated with buyers. Small, isolated pools of light randomly scattered about and everywhere you looked, tiny flashlight beams flitting around then coming to rest as people milled around, quizzing the dealers while perusing their current stock.

The selection and variety were almost endless and there were many times I spent the night working my way from stall to stall, combing through the bins, flashlight in hand, searching for treasure. I rarely missed a weekend and often stumbled in my front door with the sun already up, exhausted but satisfied after having found a handful of records I had never seen or heard before.

Rewind a decade or so to the mid ‘60s when a plethora of rock record stores first started popping up. Driven by the rapid growth in the music business, these small independent retail shops preceded the big chains (like Licorice Pizza, Music Plus, The Warehouse & Tower Records) by almost a full decade. Most common among these was the “Psychedelic” or “Head” Shop - funky little joints selling psychedelic paraphernalia, (stuff like water pipes, bongs, cigarette papers and roach clips), along with incense, posters, lava lamps, black lights and of course, rock records. These shops were a part of the emerging counter-culture and as such they were eclectic and totally ‘underground’. But for me, the biggest difference between head shops and the record counter at the local Sears or J. C. Penny department store was the fact that the head shops played music... rock music, ALL DAY LONG!

The Auditory Odyssey
My favorite of these was “The Auditory Odyssey”. Located in the middle of the San Fernando Valley, on a main drag, just a half a block south of a major intersection, The Odyssey was a home away from home where I could hang out for hours on end, soaking up the latest release from a favorite artist or hearing someone new for the very first time.

It was in The Odyssey that I first heard iconic albums by artists/groups like Joni Mitchell & James Taylor, Cream & The Band, Humble Pie & Grand Funk Railroad, The Association & The Grass Roots. Even bands like Blood, Sweat & Tears and Chicago first came to my attention there. And it was at The Odyssey where I first learned about bootlegs.

Not to be confused with “pirate LPs”, (counterfeit copies of existing records, manufactured by somebody other than the official record label and made to look like the original release), bootlegs are recordings of material that is not available and has never been released by the record company. Live concert performances, FM radio broadcasts, unreleased songs, rehearsals and alternate takes/mixes are all good examples of things that could be (and are) bootlegged.

The first bootleg I ever encountered was by my beloved Beatles. (There had been one rock bootleg available before this - A Bob Dylan record called “Great White Wonder" or “GWW” - but not being a Dylan fan, its release had not had any effect on me.) It was the Summer of 1969 and I was standing in the Odyssey, hanging out and "rapping" with one of the clerks. As the album on the turntable ended he replaced it with something unique and utterly new to me.

“What is that”, I asked, reaching across the counter for the cover.

“It’s the new Beatles Bootleg called Get Back”, he replied with a smile.

“What’s a bootleg?”, I asked, “I’ve never heard this song before”. (a non sequitur, I know!)

“You haven’t heard it because Capitol hasn’t released it yet”, he said.

The cover was plain white cardboard with a printed sheet of medium blue paper, done in monochrome black ink and glued to the front. The cover sheet had a photo of The Beatles (performing on the Apple rooftop) along with the title - “Get Back” and a list of all the song titles and timings. The cover also listed the record as ‘LE101' from ‘Lemon Records’ and even had a tiny lemon logo! The back of the cover was blank. I scanned the list and none of the titles were familiar to me.

“Is this for sale?”, I asked not wanting to leave the store without it!

“Yeah”, he said, “we have plenty.”

 I continued to listen to the record with one ear as we talked about the album and after a while he said, “come on into the back, I wanna show you something.”

We went into the shop’s back room where Ed, the owner and a couple of girls were busily gluing cover sheets onto covers. There were boxes and stacks of copies of “Get Back” everywhere!

“You guys made this?”, I asked. Ed smiled and the girls both giggled.

For the next hour or so I helped glue covers on albums, count them out in 25's & 50's and box them up for delivery and sale.

As I was getting ready to go, Ed said, “Do you think you can sell some? I’ll front you a box.”

“Sure”, I said. (I knew lots of Beatles fans and I was sure selling them would be no problem.)

“Cool”, he said and handed me a box of 25. “Keep one for yourself and pay me for the other 24 copies. Wholesale on them is two-fifty each so you’ll owe me $60 for the box”.

In the decades since, bootlegs have remained an important aspect of my music collection. Throughout the ‘70s and even until today, I have continued to seek out and acquire any title by an artist or group that I liked. Early acquisitions included live albums from folks like Elton John, Jethro Tull, CSN, James Taylor, ELP and of course The Beatles. All of these were available LONG before these artist’s labels released live material so they all really helped to fill the gap.

Sonically, you can’t really compare a bootleg to a commercial release. Doing so is kind of like comparing an amateur home video to a major studio’s feature film! The quality of the sound in most bootleg “masters” was usually less than stellar to begin with and unlike today, there was no access (outside of a recording studio) to mastering equipment and the powerful tools used to ‘sweeten’ the sound.

But while the sonic quality was rarely exceptional and often disappointing, the material was always unique. And while the sound remained raw, over time the quality of the printed covers improved steadily and dramatically until by the late ‘70s bootlegs often had a full color printed cover featuring interesting and unique graphics and design.

A selection of bootleg covers
Some bootleggers also attempted to improve the appearance of the records themselves by having their product pressed on colored vinyl while other bootleg labels (“Pig Records” TMOQ - “trade mark of quality” for example) evolved and even became known for the relative quality and consistency of their product.

"Generic"  Ralph Crumb TMOQ cover
Now and then something artistically unique AND sonically excellent did get released as a bootleg, but this was generally the exception and not the rule so ‘buyer beware’ has always been the bootleg lovers mantra.

Traditionally, to manufacture a bootleg, the bootlegger would take his master (preferably a 2 track open reel recording but often a cassette) to some small, local record pressing house and purchase a short run of LPs (typically 500 to 1000 pieces) using a fake band/artist name and a trumped up list of song titles (for the labels). The records would be delivered in plain white cardboard jackets and a printed cover sheet (with more accurate data) or an entirely new printed cover would be created elsewhere. Once he was in possession of all the components it was a simply a matter of combining one with the other and sealing it all in shrink wrap to create a finished salable product.

Over the years, many musicians have had a love/hate relationship with the lowly bootleg. Some artists consider them a scourge on the business in general (and upon their revenue stream in specific) while other artists consider them an interesting curiosity or even a loving tribute.

Paul McCartney for example is rumored to have kept a man on his payroll for many years whose express job it was to search out and acquire Beatles and McCartney boots for Macca’s personal collection. And the Grateful Dead not only condoned the recording of their shows, they offered free ‘patch points’ where fans could plug directly into the mixing board for a stereo line recording of the house mix! Other artists, (Elvis Costello among others), took an entirely different tack, hiring private detectives and seeking prosecution against any bootlegger they could catch!

By the mid ‘70s, the impact of bootlegs on the market was so great that they even got mentioned in the lyrics of songs like “Hi Hi Hi” by Wings; “When I met you at the station, you were standing with a bootleg in your hand”

The Who - "Live At Leeds
They were also used as high concept art for legitimate releases like The Who “Live At Leeds”. The graphics on this project reflected the design of a bootleg of that period in every way from the simple “rubber stamp” cover art to the “hand written” note on the plain record label requesting that the mastering engineer leave the crowd noise in between songs in tact for the final pressing of the record.

The bootleg business shifted a bit in the late ‘70s with the development of home stereo cassette machines and Dolby ‘B’ noise reduction. These technologies fueled the rapid growth of the “tape trading” hobby wherein collectors would maintain a list of all the performances they had available for trade and would then exchange copies of those recordings with other traders in person and/or through the mail thus growing both collections. Over the years, many of these hobbyists have continued to collect and trade, first moving their collections to CDR and then to digital file formats on home computers until today when bootlegs are often traded online by collectors who upload and download files to/from one another.

With the rise of the CD in the early ‘80s, the bootleggers also changed gears and began releasing their product on CD instead of vinyl. The sound quality was often no better then it had been on vinyl (in fact many of the more famous vinyl titles were simply 're-booted' and re-released!) but the packaging was usually nice and the format was convenient! By the late ‘80s many new bootleg labels appeared  by taking advantage of the recordable CDR format and releasing small runs on burnable digital discs, further expanding the size and scope of the business.

By the early ‘90s there were dozens if not hundreds of local area music swap meets taking place during the weekends all over the country. These featured table after table of bootleg videos (on VHS cassette) and audio on CD. The more aggressive sellers would arrive for the day with hundreds of titles displayed on their tables and multiple copies of each title in the boxes below.

Sadly, these days actual boots are as rare as hen’s teeth but file trading and downloading over the internet is bigger than ever. Sites and forums abound where traders can discuss and exchange music by their favorite artists and bands.

Maybe not as exciting as standing in a darkened parking lot, bent over a table, in the middle of the night with a flashlight clenched between your teeth, but ultimately just as satisfying!

No comments:

Post a Comment